Book Crawlers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BotM: June 2014 Grimm Tales

2 posters

Go down

BotM: June 2014 Grimm Tales Empty BotM: June 2014 Grimm Tales

Post by IceQueen Sat May 31, 2014 12:12 pm

I was thinking maybe we should start comapring our opinions about the tales we are reading. I will be putting notes about every 10 tales I read! Big Grin
Cant wait to hear what you think of it!

The Frog King (iron Henry) :
A frog. He helps a princess to get her golden toy back. She promised what she cant respect. He insists. She gets angry. He turns to be A bewitched king.
This story was too short, imo.  I would have liked to know why he was cursed in the first place.

Cat and Mouse in Partnership:
So called friends Cat and Mouse live together. They stored a pot of fat for winter. The cat eat it all, and at the end eats the mouse too.
“sadly, this is the way of the world”: Enemies can never be friends.

Our lady’s child:
Poor parents. Saved Child. She goes to heaven with the Virgin Mary, but like all humans, the child was too curious and greedy. She opened a door, then was cast down to earth. She denied her sin (lying. She said that she never opened  the forbidden door). Three times Mary came to her to have her confession, but she denied opening the door. When the child, now queen was about to die (for 3 of her new borns disappeared), she confessed it all.
This story shows us the nature of human beings. We are bound to be liars and greedy.

Jorinda and Jorindel:
Long story short: Love defies witches.

The golden Bird:
If you come across a fox who speaks and who tells you to do something, DO THE DAMN THING!

Hans in Luck:
Dumb people are the happier!

The Youth who wants to Learn what Fear was:
“I want to shudder!” but nothing makes him shudder, no ghosts, no monsters, no whatever…. unless it’s fish sprawled about him.

The good Bargain
No dog, No frog should question what I say! No butcher should be unfair to me! I’m actually naïve, but it serves me well even with the king.
I am not sure he is that naïve… unless the tale is contradictory. Hmm…

The Wonderful Musician
A wolf, a fox a hare coming? I do not want them! I want the company of a human being.
Is being selective a good thing? In this case… maybe, for being with a wood-cutter, spared the musician from death.

The Twelve Brothers
Twelve brothers have to die, if the new born is a girl, their sister. They flee, she goes after them. She accidently curses them, then she releases them.
Why on earth was the brothers to die? Why …Why…. Why…. And How could a mother tell her son that his father wants him dead?
IceQueen
IceQueen

Back to top Go down

BotM: June 2014 Grimm Tales Empty Re: BotM: June 2014 Grimm Tales

Post by Knave of Blades Sat May 31, 2014 3:08 pm

Love seeing your notes, and look foward to more! There was something that Spuds and I discussed, but I won't steal her thunder and let her lead with that, as it's a related idea.

1. The Frog King - Obedience features strongly; not just of the princess who was reluctant under orders from her father, but also the footman with bands around his heart. The princess was rude, and violent, yet she was still rewarded simply for doing what she was told, and the footman 'knew his place in life', by reaching such happiness at the return of his master.

2. Cat and Mouse - Yes, I see your point!

3. Our Lady's child - Again, obedience. It's interesting how some of the stories differ in how they treat that - the doling out of punishment and reward. Refreshing. Anyway, self inflicted suffering through fear and (possibly) pride. Even when all seemed lost, 'the truth set her free'. It's never too late for the truth.

In my version, Jorinda,Golden Bird and Hans in Luck are later on.

4. The Youth who went forth... - love this one! Really the idea of right action and constant temper through simple honesty.

5. The Wolf and the Seven Little Kids - To be on guard, and that greed, sloth and pride lead (literally) to one's undoing, despite clever and devious means to get what one wants.

6. Faithful John - The burden of loyalty. The virtue of self sacrifce. Not just of Faithful John, but when the king is called upon to sacrifce his own children to restore him, and both parents agree that it is right. All are rewarded for this.

7. The Good Bargain - Another that can be linked to knowing one's place, and the peril of seeking more than a deserving lot. The peasant suffers for his ignorance, but it's by others' interference, and asking what they have no claim to, that he gains. Had he been left alone, he would have nothing, and the soldier and 'Jew' (has this been changed, in your version?) would not have received a hiding to nothing.

8. The Strange Musician - Regarding the musician; I agree with your mention of slelectivity. However, I also think there's the idea that animals are attracted and tempted by his music, though they have no place to be with him and get trapped, and angry, when they should have kept away.

9. The Twelve Brothers - Very similar to 'Our Lady's Child' in terms of theme. At least for me?

10. The pack of Ragamuffins - The moral of the story is that all chickens are evil bastards, with their beady, staring, creepy eyes, and should be killed on sight for a happier world. Or, a general cautionary tale about who you allow into the home, and what is actually given as opposed to promised. I can't decide...
Knave of Blades
Knave of Blades

Back to top Go down

Post by IceQueen Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:38 pm

LMAO I honestly love how you described chickens LOL.  So I will go with that opinion :p

You know the more tales I read, the less they seem to me as tales for kids. I would deff not read this to kids lol unless I want to scare the shit out of them.

IceQueen
IceQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by IceQueen Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:28 pm

11- The Pack of Ragamuffis:
Who shall we fool today?

12- Little Brother and Little Sister
Sister and brother, alone in the world. Hunted then delivered by the king.
Another one of those tales where the mean witch dies an ugly death. That who does evil recieves evil.
I liked how sister and brother remained together until the brother was delivered.

13- Rapunzel (I like this name)
“Rapunzel, rapunzel, let down thy hair”. sometimes it was a prince and sometimes it was the enchantress who when up there. Rapunzel, it wasn’t a good idea to tell the enchantress that you had another visitor. Jealousy, feeling of betrayal have made the enchantress punish both Rapunzel and the prince. But as every couple of heart who love each other more than life, rapunzel and the prince met again.
- Never trust someone who keeps you prisoner.

14- The three Little Men In the Woods
Treat others’ kids as your own, or by your death you will pay the offense made to them.
- Wanting to harm others on purpose would lead you to an ugly death.. one which involves snails.

15- The Three Spinners
I am not sure what to think about this one. I thought that the girl would not allow the three “aunts” to come to her wedding, but it seems that she keeps her promises.
- That who keeps his promises will always prevail!

16- Hansel and Grethel
The mother: I actually have no love for my children. I’d rather throw them in the forest than risk dying from hunger with them.
The father: But… our children! Our children!!!!!!!!! Ok I guess we have no choice.
The witch: oh kids.. yum. I shall devour them one after the other.
This is just a hate-tale against children. Somehow, it was nice to read.
1) Always keep your kids near you or you’ll pay it in a way or another.
2) Never think that getting things easily will be without consequences.
3) Kids always go back to where they were born.

17- The Three Snake Leaves
A princess dies and the three snake leaves resurrect her, but her heart remains dead forever. She kills her husband, and his servant resurrects him. He spoke to the king who sentenced his daughter and her skipper to die again.
- Never bite the hand that helps you, or it will slap you dead.

18- The White Snake

Do good and you shall receive good.
Help everyone, for one day they may be of good.
Just be good.

19- The Straw the Coal and the Bean
This is a rather ‘cute’ story which aims to explain a phenomenon : why does the bean has a black seam.

20- The fisherman and his wife

Do not be too greedy. If you are, it will lead you to your starting point.
IceQueen
IceQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down