Book Crawlers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A brief introduction

2 posters

Go down

A brief introduction Empty A brief introduction

Post by Knave of Blades Mon May 19, 2014 7:31 am

Hello all!

So, I'm duty bound to write something about myself here, even though I'm never sure what in these situations. I mean, I love reading, will get my hands on anything, but that is a bit redundant, no? Hmmm.

Well, really don't have a favourite book, as I just enjoy wrangling with thoughts and ideas. I do read and write almost every day, when I'm able. Terrible stuff, but it's nice to cobble away.

I'm currently on a poetry glut of Ted Hughes, Sylvia Plath and Lorca, with a bit of Keats and Coleridge for good measure. Oh! And D.H Lawrence's 'Snake'. You know, I don't like his prose at all, but Snake is wonderful. A firm favourite, and perhaps gives a little glimpse about me.

Anyway, job mostly done?
Knave of Blades
Knave of Blades

Back to top Go down

A brief introduction Empty Re: A brief introduction

Post by IceQueen Mon May 19, 2014 10:56 am

Hi there!
I like the Romantics poetry myself. Have you tried reading Blake's poetry too?
I should read something by DH Lawrence, but like you, I am not a big fan of that guy :p. Maybe I'll try Snake tho since I HAVE to aquaint myself with his writings.
IceQueen
IceQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by Knave of Blades Mon May 19, 2014 11:52 am

Hello Ice Queen! Thank you for dropping by. I very much enjoy Blake's work, including his art and other writings.

Snake is well worth a look. I've read his entire prose, and really don't enjoy them, or think they are particularly good examples. I came across Snake after I'd read his prose, and instantly fell in love with it. For me it is so wonderful it's unreal, and just really struck me. I'd be interested to hear you thoughts.

Take care!
Knave of Blades
Knave of Blades

Back to top Go down

Post by IceQueen Mon May 19, 2014 6:20 pm

np!

I read it. I think that what stroke me as peculiar is the ease with which he describes the scene. He plays with words so smoothly that you really get caught in believing that he is facing a king.

But since you mention the unreal. Have you even tried Eliot's the Waste Land?
IceQueen
IceQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by Knave of Blades Tue May 20, 2014 3:18 am

Yes, I have! It's funny - I waited for some years before getting it. One of those books that was on my radar but had a lot of weight to it, you know?

There is a lot within it that I find hard to get on with, but appreciate how radical it was for the time, and there are pieces in there that blow my mind, I just can't sit, read, enjoy as I do with other volumes.
Knave of Blades
Knave of Blades

Back to top Go down

Post by IceQueen Tue May 20, 2014 9:42 am

True.
Eliot has this tendency to bring to life a tradition that is underestimated for him. I admire how he succeeds to make past and present converse in his writings.
IceQueen
IceQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum