Book Crawlers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BEST vs. WORST! ★

4 posters

Go down

BEST vs. WORST! ★ Empty BEST vs. WORST! ★

Post by Bunpocalypse Tue May 13, 2014 4:07 pm

Welcome to Best vs. Worst! ★

This is the game where I post a genre or subgenre each week and you tell us the best and worst of them you've ever read!

To get things started, this week's genre is Science Fiction.

Have fun! Wave 

Bunny
Bunpocalypse
Bunpocalypse

Back to top Go down

BEST vs. WORST! ★ Empty Re: BEST vs. WORST! ★

Post by Knave of Blades Mon May 19, 2014 12:38 pm

You know, I've been wracking my brains over this, and I really struggle with best/worst examples. I've read some great works and real stinkers, but to pin-point one of each? What of all the books I've not read yet? Why are you doing this to me, Bunny? Why?!

Things that spring to mind as having a real influence on me are '1984' and 'Handmaid's Tale'. But then, Camus' 'the Plague' as well. Those three titles are what I present to people when they start talking dismissively of the genre. I read them when I was a lot younger, and they did alter me as a person, cliched as that sounds. 'Flowers for Algernon', and 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?' as well. I would also say 'Brave New World', but I think the farce humour works to its detriment.

As for worst; a hazy collection of anti-feminist sci-fi from the late 70's early 80's springs to mind, though I dislike anything that dumbs down, which I see a lot of; as if the meer fact that it's science fiction means there is no reason to explain or discuss. Lazy plot devices, etc. That being said, I do love Starship Troopers.

I know I've not in any way answered your question... But! I have been thinking about it...
Knave of Blades
Knave of Blades

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Arctor Tue May 20, 2014 12:46 pm

I don't really feel qualified to objectively pick bests or worsts from any genre, as I'm not well-read. Also, all the science fiction I've read was at an early age. I can name a few favorites though.

I thoroughly enjoyed the young adult series, The Tripods, while I was in elementary. To my recollection the books dealt with mature themes I hadn't encountered before such as human sacrifice, slavery, tyranny and revolution. I also liked Stranger in a Strange Land.

I think the worst book I've ever encountered was read while I was stranded at a friend's house and bored out of my mind. He had a collection of the Animorphs books...enough said.
Bob Arctor
Bob Arctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Bunpocalypse Tue May 20, 2014 1:07 pm

Beeeh, Animorphs! :P Poor Bob!

This week's genre is social novels.
Bunpocalypse
Bunpocalypse

Back to top Go down

Post by IceQueen Tue May 20, 2014 1:25 pm

Best: Martin Eden. It depicts accurately the social gaps between upper classes and lower ones.
Worst: I am tempted to say The Girl Next Door, but for some reason It sounds wrong to me. So I'm choosing The Rules of Attraction for the simple reason that there was no... 'soul' in all characters :p
IceQueen
IceQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum