Book Crawlers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poetry Group

2 posters

Go down

Poetry Group Empty Poetry Group

Post by Knave of Blades Sun May 25, 2014 5:36 pm

Hello all. So, some discussion was sparked in my introduction about poetry and I thought it might be an idea to get its own thread, and pursue things in a structured way. perhaps it would be nice for those who already have an interest in poetry, or study it, to have a little nook?

My idea was to have a timeframe, much like BotM, where a collection would be voted on, with some flexibility, of course. However, there could be different forms of structure if people wish, such as selecting a few meaningful pieces from a poet's works and discussing them, or even chosing a theme and finding a small selection of poems that address it in differing ways.

What say you?
Knave of Blades
Knave of Blades

Back to top Go down

Poetry Group Empty Re: Poetry Group

Post by IceQueen Tue May 27, 2014 9:44 am

IM TOTALLY ON!
IceQueen
IceQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by Knave of Blades Tue May 27, 2014 1:45 pm

I'm very happy to hear that! In terms of structure, how would you like to proceed? I've no problem at all with you tying it into your studies, so that you can be chomping through course texts. That way, you wouldn't be under the pressure of having extra books, and can be turning over some ideas in your own mind? Just a thought.
Knave of Blades
Knave of Blades

Back to top Go down

Post by IceQueen Tue May 27, 2014 2:56 pm

but that would be unfair to you !

you know what would be really really interesting? (imo) is that we start a "chronoligcal" order of poems starting from epic ones... and each month we read a poem or several ones according to their date of publication... I wanted to do that for leisure for a while, but I still dont have the motivation needed.

maybe the disadvantages of this procedure is that the participants will have to be committed, so we should allow a flexibility
I guess it's just you and me in this, so what do you think?
IceQueen
IceQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by Knave of Blades Tue May 27, 2014 4:22 pm

I'm perfectly happy to get my hands on any poetry I can, and have broad tastes, so that isn't an issue for me. Having a bit of a peek into you syllabus is also an appealing thought! I just don't like the idea of you getting stressed with a heavier workload.

Your idea sounds pretty amazing, I've never thought of trying that and it should be fun. I'm familiar with some of the Greek epics, and performed renditions of Gilgamesh (I played Eabani) but would need imput from you regarding specific times, etc, and if there are any more obscure works that may be unfamiliar, as I'm no scholar. As far as I'm aware, Gilgamesh would be the the one to start with?

I'm not all that familiar with modern epics, aside from the obvious, such as the Divine Comedy and Paradise Lost. Might need a bit more than a month for those!  :P

Also, is Parzival classed as an epic poem? Not sure, think it is but I've had a little look and can't see.

I'd certainly be down for that; either way suits me fine.

I'm all excited, now!
Knave of Blades
Knave of Blades

Back to top Go down

Post by IceQueen Tue May 27, 2014 4:50 pm

I have a book which cites the 500 most influecial authors of all times... IDK if it could be a refence to the poets we can read....... I must check how extensive it is.

And yes Parzival is an epic poem ! I like the fact aht tit discusses the holy grail, a subject taken by many poets it seems.

I am excited too!!!

Let me find the book online just to have an idea about the authors and if we can use it as a guiding reference.

IceQueen
IceQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by Knave of Blades Tue May 27, 2014 5:00 pm

Wikipedia has a timeline of epics, though I'm not sure how extensive that is. Also, I take it you mean complete epics, not fragments or damaged pieces? I'd be a bit lost there.
Knave of Blades
Knave of Blades

Back to top Go down

Post by IceQueen Tue May 27, 2014 5:41 pm

oh sorry I made the idea ambiguous.
what I means is that we can choose the most important poets of each century and each month we read one.

for example, in this book (a french one called 501 écrivains : Un tour du monde de la littérature
we get to have a chronological list of authors.
they start with Homer then following a chronological order to discuss all poets  Big Grin 

And yes, it's better to stick to completed work, and maybe it's better not to linger too long in one period in order to be able to link all periods. How does this sound to you? any ideas are welcome Big Grin
IceQueen
IceQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by Knave of Blades Tue May 27, 2014 5:50 pm

Ah! I see! Perfectly happy to do a tour of your book.
Knave of Blades
Knave of Blades

Back to top Go down

Post by IceQueen Wed May 28, 2014 7:01 am

I'm actually still looking for other options!

http://www.adherents.com/people/100_literary.html

what do you think about this?

of course, we would select only the poets from this list
IceQueen
IceQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by Knave of Blades Sat May 31, 2014 3:30 pm

I'm happy to do that, and have been looking for a list entirely devoted to poets, but cannot find one.

Also, it has been mentioned you might be concerned about how I feel regarding your ideas, that I may be offended, etc?

That is so not the case! I love poetry and the process of learning. Also, we are all here to have a good time and share in the joy these things bring us. I love that you are having ideas, finding ways to engage, and perhaps fulfil something that you have wanted to do for a long time, but not had the people to share that with; it's a big thing! It is an honour and pleasure to witness. Fire all the ideas that you like!  :P 

I'm sorry if my taking a back seat has given the wrong impression, I just like your idea and so am giving you the opportunity to be creative with it, and also in a way that is managable to you. I've enjoyed hearing your thoughts, and look forward to putting them into action and reading even more poetry.

So, there are no worries from me!
Knave of Blades
Knave of Blades

Back to top Go down

Post by IceQueen Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:26 pm

Well Im glad that i was only being paranoid, AGAIN xD

I gave it some thought and I think that the best way to proceed is to create our own list :Dso.. should we dedicate this month to the list creation? :o
IceQueen
IceQueen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum