Book Crawlers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Science Fiction vs Sci-fi debate

2 posters

Go down

The Science Fiction vs Sci-fi debate Empty The Science Fiction vs Sci-fi debate

Post by Knave of Blades Tue May 20, 2014 8:53 am

Hello, all.

So, when answering the 'Best vs Worst' thread, or not, as the case may be, regarding science fiction, it made me think about a clip a while ago, debating the use of science fiction related to sci-fi. It's an old clip, but the dabate goes on. Anyway, I'll post the link below, and would love to hear your thoughts.

http://www.pajiba.com/trade_news/scifi-vs-science-fiction.php

Hope you enjoy.

Take care!
Knave of Blades
Knave of Blades

Back to top Go down

The Science Fiction vs Sci-fi debate Empty Re: The Science Fiction vs Sci-fi debate

Post by Bunpocalypse Tue May 20, 2014 6:19 pm

My, Ellison is pointed for a "shy" guy. :P

At first glance it might seem pedantic, but I'm kind of in the second camp when it comes to that debate. I don't consider fantastical pseudo-science to be "science fiction." I do think it's important to understand the difference. Still, I don't consider the sci fi genre to be illegitimate or inferior to true science fiction.

To me, sci fi is like Fantasy in Space. The way Star Trek justifies its nonsense with techno-babble is the same way Fantasy novels justify its nonsense with magic. That fact doesn't necessarily diminish its entertainment value. It doesn't mean sci fi can't be smart.

I find it difficult to compare sci fi and science fiction when they are two entirely separate genres with agendas that don't even overlap. In the first place, I don't think sci fi even tries to pass itself off as science. You don't go watch Transformers or Star Wars expecting an intellectual commentary on the nature of science or the human condition. It's purely imaginary. You don't argue the scientific validity of LOTR, so why would you argue the imaginary twaddle of sci fi?
Bunpocalypse
Bunpocalypse

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum